Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas Traditions

It is hard to believe that 24 years ago a Christams tradition began for me - and that I am actually old enought to remember it!

1984 is the year my family moved to the Worcester Massachusetts area, and I met Dick and Nelia Hopkins. The Hopkins family is one of the most musically gifted family I have ever met. Their tradition in our ward was to perform Handel's Messiah annually at Christmas. Not just the extremely well known "Hallelujah" ckorus, but many other choruses and solos. It was an amazing experience to learn such inspired music! To me Christmas simply is not Christmas without either singing in or attending a performance.

This past Sunday, Zane and I were blessed with the awesome opportunity to attend a performance of the Messiah - directed by Dick Hopkins! He and Nelia have moved to Utah - and we have been fortunate to be able to keep in touch. Clay Christiansen, the Tabernacle Organist, accompanied the choir along with a fabulous chamber orchestra. It was astounding!

We are hoping to attend another performance before Christmas. I hope we can find a sing along!

Just a silly little side note- my favorite number is 107. You may wonder why, and here is the story. The "Hallelujah" chorus is on page 107 in some additions of the Messiah score. My freind Jessica and I really wanted to sing it one day at a rehersal, so we sat and chanted under our breath "107, 107..." and that is the next song we sang. The things you remember!

No comments: