Friday, December 26, 2008

A New Earth - book club

Recently, I have become a member of a book club. We are reading "A NewEarth" by Eckhart Tolle. Each week we gather and discuss a chapter, and the things that have made an impact in our lives. There are so many things that have really hit home for me. I have been reading and getting ready for next week's discussion - we are supposed to bring one or two things that really stand out in our minds.

As we just celebrated Christmas, something really touched me. We run from here to there gathering, buying, celebrating with each other. How many people did you see that were unhappy? Honestly, I saw a few... but not as many as usual. Eckhart says "Unhappiness or negativity is a disease on our planet." How true is that! I know so many people that all they seem to be able to do is live their live complaining... it's almost as if they don't have any other language. Why is that? It's like a small child throwing a temper tantrum... they learn at a young age they can mainpulate others -"the more unhappy I become, the more likely I am to get what I want." Does that really work as an adult? How many adults do you know that believe it does? From my life experience, it doesn't. It simply makes you more miserable.

When my husband was deployed, I could sit around and feel sorry for myself and all my problems - or I could stand up and take charge. When I weighed nearly 300 pounds, I could give up and pity myself, get surgey and complain about being fat... or I could eat right, get myself to the gym, and un-do what I did to myself. When I was wrongly accused of harming a foster child placed in my home, I could go in to a huge rage and depression, or I could stand up and do what I know is right, clearing my name of all accusations. When I am falsely accused of being a bad person, I could let it affect me... or I can choose to do what I know is right, stand up for those who are in need of my love, and continue to live my life as I know is best.

I know that God loves me. There are challenges I have been blessed with, trials that may seem insurmountable - but I know that the Lord will not give me any challenge I cannot overcome. I am so blessed to have a husband to whom I am married in the temple. I know we will be married for eternity. I am grateful we choose to work together and honor the covenants we have made. I am grateful to not have chaos in my relationship with him, as many people do in their relationships.

On page 65 of his book, Eckhart Tolle says, "There are many people who are always waiting for the next thing to react against, to feel annoyed or disturbrd about - and it never takes long before they find it. They are addicted to upset and anger as others are to a drug." I am sure almost everyone in the world knows someone like this. "Depression, breakdowns, and overreactions are common when unhappiness is covered up behind a smiling exterior and brilliant white teeth, when there is denial, sometimes even to one's self, that there is much unhappiness." (page 95) Why choose to be unhappy? I choose happiness and peace in my life.

So what have I learned in all of this? Why am I writing a blog about it? My life is changing. The storms may rage around me- false accusations, lies or constant chaos. I choose to not let that affect me. Psalms 46:10 says "Be still and know that I am God." As the Christmas season is now coming to an end, and the chaos of life is starting up again with the new year, I choose to be still. I will follow my heart. I will do what is right for me in my own life, and not let any other person's chaos change what I do. I am a daughter of God who loves me and will bless my life as I follow what is right. I am grateful to know who I am, where I am going in life, and the direction to turn to find peace and stillness in my heart.

2 comments:

Cambrey said...

They are not lies or accusations people are telling about you. They are the truth. You need to learn to deal with this and face who you really are.

Summer said...

I agree that unhappiness can run through our veins like a drug. Becoming depressed is a *game* that most people play because it makes them exception to the rule, so-to-speak. If (or when) we are depressed, we are given the *right* to feel down. Permission, is perhaps a better word. I know when I was fighting depression, I realized this. It's easy to be able to state when being asked, "How are you?" to be able to get in a habit of not saying what people *want* to hear by saying "good," but start saying things like, "not so good," or "tired," or "down."

I once heard someone state to this question a remarkable response that brought a new perspective to my eyes. I asked, "How are you doing?" he simply took a breath in and replied, "blessed."