Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Out with the Old...

Just as many people must be doing this evening, I am reflecting on this past year. Did I accomplish my goals? Have I become a better person? Have others been blessed because I am a part of their life? Have I done anything to change the world for the better?

I did accomplish many goals. I did set some goals I didn't accomplish... and one realization brought me to tears today, thinking about how poorly I have done recently at trying to achieve a specific goal. Tomorrow is always a new day: I will wake up and start again.

Have I become a better person? I believe I have. I know I have shortcomings - but I also have come to realize many of my strengths. Have others been blessed because I am a part of their life? I have many close friendships that have grown closer in the past year. Some friends have become so dear to me I consider them family.

Have I done anything to change the world for the better? That is a difficult question to answer. I have loved those who needed to be loved. I have shared my home. I have finished a race. I have made soap. I have begun serving a mission. I have been a visiting teacher. I have grown a garden and shared the produce. I have shared my photography, been a shoulder to cry on, visited friends in the hospital... Have I changed the world? Maybe not in a headline sort of way. I would like to believe that somewhere in the lives I have been blessed to be a part of, I have touched someone's heart. Changing a heart can change the world.

"The key to the ability to change is a changeless sense of who you are, what you are about, and what you value." Stephen R. Covey

My life is my own. I choose to be who I am - and no one else can make that decision for me. Some people may not like my decisions, but they are mine to make and mine to be accountable to the Lord for. I am grateful I have lived the life I have. I know it's not perfect, but it's mine. This year will bring so many changes... I look forward to being the best me I can be!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes you have. The difference you have made will never be known to you or anyone else. It can only be know by the recipient and our Heavenly Father. I am glad that you will be blessed by the Lord. Because I would never be able to repay the debt I owe you. Love your sister in the gospel.