Thursday, December 4, 2008

What kind of friend are you?

I have been thinking.


What kind of friend am I? How do I show others I care about them? With some friends, I am one way, and with others another. Why is that? Some friends I can be bold with, share the truth as it is - and know that no matter what, they will still be my friend. Others, I simply strive to keep the peace... and in doing so I have allowed my opinions and feelings not not count. (Is that really a friendship?)

A friend recently shared a quote with me: "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter!"

Sometimes with friends, we have a falling out. Eckhart Tolle wrote in his book The New Earth "Whenever you are upset about an event, a person, or a situation, the real cause is not the event, person, or situation, but a loss of true perspective." How profound!


So who am I, really? A poem I wrote for a friend a while ago:

A true friend is someone who loves us for who we are -
Not that they can't see our faults,
But they refuse to define us by them.
A friend helps our heart feel happy
In moments of sadness-
Like spring warming the winter away.
True friends are eternal...
Tides may ebb and flow -
Yet a friend is strong and stays the course.
When sunshine drives storm clouds from the sky,
A friend will be there with a smile and say
"I knew this day would come."
Loyal, true, caring, sensitive, giving,
Gentle, teaching, funny, comforting...
Qualities searched for in a friend...
The qualities I found in you.


Just something to think about - the qualities I seek in a friend are qualities I should seek to instill in my own life. That way, I will always have a best friend! =)

No comments: