Thursday, November 13, 2008

Choices and consequences

I have been thinking this morning about choices and consequences.

We have agency to make choices, however, we do not always have the agency to choose what the consequence will be. We break the law, we either will or will not get caught. We tell lies... we will either be caught - or not. It is not up to us.

The kind of person we are, however, is up to us. We can choose to be honest in all we do. We decide whether or not we obey the laws of the land. We choose to have integrity, doing what is right when others around us may not be. We are on this earth to learn these lessons - not to float through life. We may not always get our way. There are many people who have become experts at manipulation, causing others to believe "it's my way or the highway". To them, I say... or not.

I will be honest and say I have, at times, had a difficult time facing the truth of my life. I have struggled when I was with friends to make the right choices. I have made choices where I was not pleased with the consequences that followed. I am learning in life, just as everyone else is.

The picture of the trees above I took yesterday. I see a meaning thre for me that is very profound. Sometimes in life we have friends or family that stand by us, who "back us up" just like I see these trees standind "back to back". The trees have seen the same weather patterns, have the same view from the top of the mountain... yet they grew differently. Just something to reflect on.

No comments: