Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Birthday determinations

Yesterday was my birthday. I am 36, can you believe it? I don't feel any older than I did 3 days ago... but I certainly feel wiser! Crossing that finish line at the end of the half marathon Saturday certainly taught me some valuable life lessons. I have been doing a lot of reading - surprise, surprise. Recently, I have been finding my place in life, and the path I am to take.

Buddah said:

We are what we think.
All that we are arises
With our thoughts.
With our thoughts,
We make our world.

In the past, for some unknown reason, I have felt that my opinion is less valuable than others. I felt that in order to have friends, I had to do what they wanted - in order for them to like me. I have allowed people to run my life for me by pushing their opinions on me.. and I have allowed that. In order to preserve peace, I have allowed my own desires to be pushed aside. I used to believe this is what "good people" do - sacrifice everything for everybody else. I was very wrong.

In his book "Awaken the Giant Within" Anthony Robbins makes a very good point. He says we should ask questions in order to find the place we are - and the place we want to be. Here is a list that has become important to me to consider:

1. What is great about this problem?
2. What is not perfect yet?
3. What am I willing to do to make it the way I want it?
4. What am I willing to no longer do in order to make it the way I want it?
5. How can I enjoy the process while I do what is necessary to make it the way I want it?

In the book "The New Earth" Eckhart Tolle points out:
"There are many people who are waiting for the next thing to react against, to feel annoyed or disturbed about - and it never takes long before they find it. They are addicted to upset and anger as others are addicted to a drug."

I have been reflecting on my life. I have not been a person to seek out anger or upset - I have been the kind of person who is the "people pleaser" avoiding upset at all costs... including letting my point of view be ignored - allowing people to put me last. My friends and family will tell you that I have allowed myself to be a "pushover" when it comes to certain circumstances.

Crossing that finish line Saturday, and having my birthday yesterday, I have started a new life for me. I was "re-born" in to a world where I will make my opinion known. I will stand for what I feel is right. I understand that other people may not like that... and that may cause difficulties in some relationships. That is not my intent at all. What my intention is: to become who I was sent to this earth to be. I am going to stand for what I feel is good and right.

Who am I?

I am a strong, faithful daughter of a Heavenly Father who will continue to bless me as I follow His gospel and share the things I learn with others. I am a woman of conviction - who will no longer allow my conviction to be discounted by others. I have a beauty within I will share with the world; through words, art, or by example. I will live my life as a testimony of the divinity of Jesus Christ and His love for us. I fulfil the promises I have made in my life, and I will stand strong and tall as an example to those who are seeking direction in their lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really cool! Bethany