Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A really long day...

My frineds Mike and Nikki are on vacation. Tammy and I have been tag-team taking care of their two beautiful boys. What a surprise it was this morning at 5:00 when my phone rang saying thre was an emergency with one of the kids and Zane and I needed to get there immediately! Zane, sicker that I remember for a long time, dragged himself out of bed and we ran over quickly. The 10 year old boy we are taking care of had just gone through a grand-mal seizure. Tammy and her girls had taken care of him... but it was a good idea to take him to the hospital to get things checked out. I held this sweet boy in my limp in my lap while Tammy got dressed: Zane laying on the floor like a dead man. Ane then came the second seizure.

I cannot begin to explain the feeling that came over me as I sat, holding a seizing child. I prayed quickly, sang a hymn, and held him until he finished. It was only one minute... but the longest minute of my life.


We drove to Primary Children's Hospital where this young man was poked, prodded and tested every which way. We arrived around 6:00 A.M. and finally were able to return about 5:00 P.M. It was a very long day.
There were many important lessons I learned today, but among one of them was: some things are truly more important than others. A loved friend or family member are priority over anything else there may be on this planet. Jobs come and go, we may hold 50 in a lifetime... but there is only 1 of a particular person, and they can never be replaced.
Happily I can report that the IV came out... and we brought the sweetest young man home to sleep in his very own house today! The Lord is a Lord of miracles, and he truly does hear and answer our prayers!!

1 comment:

Summer said...

You are right. Watching someone go through a seizure, feeling absolutely helpless knowing there is nothing you can do but wait until it is over is the longest moment in time anyone can go through.

I'm sorry all of you, (especially that sweet little guy) had to go through this. I wouldn't wish seizures on my worst enemies.

I'm glad it's over.