Friday, October 3, 2008

Angel's Landing - Top of the World!

My dad and I hiked Angel's Landing in Zion National Park yesterday,
and believe it or not, this was the easy part of the trail!


We ended up at the top- right where the contrail goes behind the cliff!



Since 1991, when I first heard of Angel's Landing, I knew I wanted to hike it. Many of my friends at college did -and told me how challenging it was, but how beautiful the view from the top - how worth it every step is! I have always been out of shape, and was terribly afraid to do the hike because of the descriptions such as: At one point you climb up a sheer cliff with a chain to support you, 21 back to back swithchbacks (Walter's Wiggles) make your legs really burn, and if you are afraid of herights, don't even attempt it! In 2 1/2 miles, the trail climbs 1,500 feet. The last 500 are in the last 1/2 mile. Then there is the treck back down the mountain...







In my mind, Angel's Landing was a hike I felt I would never be able to do. It truly seemed insurmountable. I was planning, along the way, to tell my dad at the 2 mile mark (Scout Outlook) whether or not I really could make it that last half mile. I was more than nervous as we set out.

As we reached the Scout outlook, I knew it was possible for me to make it. One step at a time - very carefully - my dad and I headed up. I led the way, and it wasn't as quite as difficult as I had imagined to get to the top. Others had made it sound so impossible...


The great lesson that I learned is: sometimes we make mountains bigger than they really are. I had told myself for 17 years if I could climb that "impossible" hike, I could do anything. I was so afraid of what "might be" along the trail, that I had been unwilling to set out upon it. Yes, I was more prepared this week than I ever had been... but yes, I could have also made it to the top before now. It was an awesome experience, and I recommend it to anyone who has ever thought about doing it! (I might even go with you - if you ask nicely!)

2 comments:

Summer said...

Thanks for the reminder Britt. Often I get overwhelmed with even the little things like laundry for a household of 6 when, if I put my mind to it, it only takes 1 hour of my time.

Not only the little things, but we often make mountains over the big things and feel too 'small' to accomplish such big things. I appreciate the thought, as I sit here daily battling my biggest mountain that I have named, The Bulge.

Blondie said...

How inspirational! Thanks for sharing.