Friday, August 14, 2009

Following your heart

Have you ever followed your heart, then stopeed to think hmmmmmmmmmmm.... I should have thought this through a little more than I did? I have a miracle to share.

Tuesday night, Zane and I were on the way to a parenting class. Just as we were getting off the exit, we noticed there was a vehicle overturned blocking traffic. There were already cars stopped ahead of us, so Zane jumped out of the car and starting directing traffic and calling Highway Patrol (as an officer, he knows just what to tell them) while others on the scene began to pull a mother and her 4 young children from the vehicle. I pulled off to the side of the road and approached the scene cautiously... finding 4 very frightened children, and a youth group (from my old ward!) there helping as best they could. I sat on the side of the road holding an amazingly brave 6 year old as his mother was life-flighted to the hospital. All the children were also taken to the hospital. I remember this little boy being terrified, and I asked him to be a soldier for me. He told me he couldn't be a soldier because soldiers aren't scared. I assured him that soldiers can be brave and scared at the same time- as fireman Sam strapped him to a backboard and wheeled him away.

I couldn't sleep Tuesday night, and I was pretty sure all the emotion had also impacted the youth that were on the scene as well. Wednesday, I called all the hospitals looking for my brave soldier. No one had him. I called around looking for the mom... and because of HIPPA laws, I was not able to find out anything. Finally, a nurse took compassion on me when I told her I had been there and I only wanted to know if she was ok. She placed me on hold, came back and assured me the mother was fine. I left my phone number and asked to have a member of the family call me. Within 45 minutes, the mother called.

This woman has seen her share of trials. Recently, she was homeless with her 4 beautiful children. She moved in to an apartment last Wednesday... to have it burn to the ground Friday. She was traveling with her kids- and new clothing that had been donated to her- when she had this accident on Tuesday. She had just found out her left wrist and hand were crushed so badly the doctors were going to amputate it. What a place to be. Thanks to my friend Tammy, we were able to make and take her a dinner in the hotel she is staying in... thanks to the Red Cross. I thought the kids would likd to know what happened, so I called Zac, one of the teen age boys that was on the scene. Immediately, this young man took action and began preparing a service project to help this single mother and her children... gathering school supplies, clothing... and the project has grown to un-imagineable proportions.

Today I called her again to see how things are going. The mother told me that she was going to meet with DCFS and her friend who was taking care of her children... but that the friend could no longer care for these 4 traumatized kids- it was too much for her. They would all become wards of the state, unless she could find someone to take care of them- and she has no friends and family in Utah.

The point of the story? Tonight, I have 4 beautiful children staying in my home. I have an army of wonderful neighbors, friends and complete strangers who have come from everywhere to donate things children need- tooth brushes, toys, clothes, pajamas, socks, food... you name it. My home has been innundated with goodness. Zac and his sister, as well as 2 other young women came to my hopme and played with the kids as we prepared placed to sleep and food to eat.

I believe there are no coincidences in life. The Lord puts us where he needs us... when he needs us. I am so grateful to all the hearts that have been open, the love that has been shared, and the compassion of friends and neighbors who had never before even met this family. I am eternally grateful for the outpouring of love. I am also overwhelmed and grateful that the Lord has allowed me to be a part of this experience.

2 comments:

Summer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Summer said...

Oops! What a beautiful story and what a beautiful experience to touch many lives.