Monday, September 15, 2008

State fair is done...

Well, friends, today is the day I return to the state fair grounds to reterieve my photo entries. I had a really great experience. Of course, as everone who enters the fair does, I was hoping to go see a ribbon displayed next to one of my photos... and was slightly disappointed in the fact that the ribbons hanging near my photos belonged to other photographers displayed near my work. When there are over 1,500 entries, there are only so many ribbons to go around!

I did, however, take the opportunity to stand by "All Around Beauty" and listen to the comments that were made by complete strangers about my photography. I had always felt that my pictures were a part of who I am - and if someone didn't like the picture, they didn't necessarily like me, either. Standing and observing helped me learn that is not true. A picture is a picture. It's a piece of art I have created... and not everyone appreciated the same style of art as I do. I alway knew art was subjective, but now I more fully understand. It was a wonderful experience, and I plan to re-enter next year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed photography most of my life. From taking pictures to viewing other people's art, capturing images of the world can be so rewarding. I am proud of you for going out on a limb and putting your pictures in the state fair. I'm sorry to hear that you did't find the fair's ribbon. As they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." However, I am certain that all of us that viewed the photos saw their beauty :-) Keep it up!

Summer said...

This was a wonderful experience in which I was happy to get to share with you. I'm pleased to hear that you plan to enter next year and I'm sure that Tarryn will be right with you!

You are inspiring with your strength and energy to try new things even when you don't get the results you hope for.

Loves!