Sunday, July 5, 2009

Patriotism on my mind

I had an experience today I would like to share.

At church, someone was playing prelude music for everyone to listen to as the meeting was getting started. Usually, people simply talk over the music- it's more of a background than much else- and that's pretty ok with me. What happened, though, is the National Anthem was being played as prelude. As a military wife, I immediately stood and placed my hand over my heart- along with a friend sitting next to me. One other person in the room did the same. Out of respect for our country... and those who have fought and lived, as well as fought and died, it has always been my understanding you stand while the Star Spangled Banner is played. I know many people were looking at us- wondering why we were doing what we were doing- but that was perfectly fine with me. less than 5 minutes later, the Star Spangled Banner was played again, and the same 3 of us stood. I closed my eyes and thought of the words- my heart was deeply touched.

Many people don't understand the story of the National Anthem. I have heard the story told a few times... and it truly moves me. The hymn was written during the war of 1812, when Francess Scott Key was a negotiatior, sent to negotiate the release of American prisoners. Once he reached the ship in the harbor, however, he was taken captive. The Americans had been told if the flag stood in the morning, it would be considered that the Americans were victorious in the battle. Through the night, the British focused all their firepower directly on our flag pole. Brave soldiers rushed to our country's aid, holding the flag erect through the night. In the morning, as Francess looked over the harbor, he was unable to see for all the smoke that filled the air. He wrote the Star Spangled Banner as a prayer from his heart... can the flag be seen- are we victorious? And there it was, leaning heavily to one side... yet standing. America was victorious! The price? The brave men who rushed to hold up the flag during the night... many of them perished. It was their bodies the flag pole was leaning on, standing where it could be seen through the thick morning smoke.

So when the Star Spangled Banner is playing, I will stand. I will not talk - must people usually do not talk through a prayer - and I will remember those who have lived and died to give me the freedoms I now enjoy. I am so grateful to live in this great land. I am deeply grateful to those who have paid the utimate price so that I may live free.

Thank you to all the families of miltary personel - past, present, and future, for allowing your loved one to serve our country in a way few people can, or will. May the Lord bless you every day for your great sacrifice.

No comments: