Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Moment of truth

Something has been on my mind lately, and I want to share it. More than anything, I really want to get it out- so people know the truth about some things that I have maybe not been "quite so honest"about... and it's about time! First let me start with a little background.


I know a person who lives their life in a way that I don't understand. When something happens to them, they tell a different version of the story to everyone they meet- including their family members. Story to story, un-truth to un-truth, I have come to realize that I can't necessarily trust that person's verson of anything they tell me. I feel sad for them, as their life is difficult- and if they had told the truth each time, instead of telling the version of the story they thought the person listening wanted to hear... things would be much simpler for them. After all, if you tell a story to a particular person, you have to remember who you told what- and pretty soon, you can get caught in your own web of deceit. Friends and family begin to not trust you... and then where do you stand?


Well, here is my moment of truth. I know it sounds silly, but I really have the desire to share. Many of you know that I have been quite heavy at one point and time. I have said I weighed "about 300 pounds" and this is actually quite true. I want to come clean with everyone who knows me. At one point, I weighed 310 pounds. Today, I weigh 219. That extra 10 pounds may seem like not a lot... but imagine carrying around a 10 pound bag of sugar all the time... day and night. 10 pounds is 10 pounds!


I am on a journey of discovery- discovering who I am, and what I am capable of. I am absolutely capable of living my life in truth. The truth is- weight loss is difficult. Anyone who has tried knows!


I have so many wonderful friends, and family members who have supported me for a very long time. I have a goal to continue working in weight loss, and especially in the next 8 weeks, in a way that has integrity and honesty. Every day I am eating proper foods and doing the exercises that will help me gain the strength I need.


Every day is a challenge. I have to be honest with myself, and in keeping a journal of the things I eat. It's really ok for me to have a bowl of ice cream now and then... as long as I keep an honest record.


I have also decided to be completely honest with those around me. Why keep inside how I am truly feeling? Sometimes, in the past, I have not expressed my point of view for fear of how others might react to me. Isn't the same as doing what my friend mentioned above has done?


After all... "Honesty is the best policy!"

A sunset... on the old me!!!

1 comment:

Summer said...

My word Britt! That picture is awe inspiring just as much as your heart.