Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

I was just refelcting on what Independence Day means to me. I know as Americans, we all enjoy the fireworks, the BBQs and picnics, the parades and swimming... but there is more to it than parties and pomp & circumstance.

What of those who have given us our freedoms? What of those families who send loved oned overseas- to have them return changed... or not return at all? I know we hear frequently that "freedom isn't free" but what does that truly mean?

For me, personally, it meant months of sleepless nights, worrying, praying. Watching a friend struggle when her husband was killed. Gathering with families of military serving over seas... just to know there was someone else in the world feeling the same way I was. Trying to explain to darling children where their favorite uncle Zane was... and taking the Zane-bear to girls camp, family reunions, youth outings, and to bed with me at night. It meant crying when I had to hang up the phone, hanging on to every word spoken- not knowing if it would be the last I heard for him. Wondering for weeks on end when he might be able to call, when a mission would end. It meant nights of staring at the phone and wishful thinking when awakening from a dream finding the phone really hadn't waken me from the slumber. It meant talking all night to him- and sleeping all day. It meant bursting in to tears for no apparent reason- and often cring myself to sleep at night. It meant being without someone I love.

Don't get me wrong. I love the parades. I love the fireworks and grilled chicken sandwich- I love the patriotic music... I love the celebrations we have! My perspective is just different than most, and I wanted to share it while it was fresh in my mind.

Happy Independence Day. This is a day I will always hold dear to my heart.

No comments: