Saturday, January 24, 2009

Feelings 101

Last night, my family went and saw the play "Cash on Delivery" at the Hale Center Theater. I have to say, I have not laughed that hard a play in a long time! My tummy hurt from laughing so hard. I highly recommend seeing it- but kids wouldn't understand the humor.

I love the feeling you get when you laugh!

I learned about a book yesterday called "Molecules of Emotion". I am really interested in owning it. There are neuropeptides in the brain- these are chemicals that carry messages throughout the body. Some of those peptides are emotionally triggered. As the emotion is triggered, we react because of the chemical release. For example... if you were bitten by a black dog when you were a child, it's highly possible that as you go through the rest of your life, you may feel instant fear of all black dogs... no matter how illogical it may seem. Your mind remembers the fear from years before - and triggers that feeling. I am intrigued by this book! I want to read and study more!!!

What I am learning in my school is to help, through a guided meditation, people find emotional triggers. During meditation, I help the person I am guiding find and replace negative emotions about a situation, and replace them with positive. Using the example above, a person might quite feasably- no longer be afraid of dogs!!

What a gift- to be learning how to be able to help people change their lives!

No comments: