Saturday, January 10, 2009

Genuine...

Do you have anyone you admire?



There is a man who has really inspired me throughout the last 10 years or so, and tonight I got the opportunity to talk with him. His name is Thomas Mangelsen, and he is an absolutely awe-inspiring photographer. His work truly envokes a feeling. He has more than one gallery, but there is one here in the Park City area about 45 minutes away from my home. (You can go to http://www.mangelsen.com/ to see his work.)



Last summer, some friends and I went to Antelope Island, out on the Great Salt Lake. We didn't know it at the time, but Mr. Mangelsen was on the beach taking pictures of the sunset - right near where we were. He was a very gracious man. We startled him, as he was standing there, lost in the music from his MP3 player.



Anyway... today, I went to an open house that was being held in his gallery. He was introducing pew photographs. WOW! I was absolutely blown away at the beauty of his work. It was really incredible to see his photography. I wish I was in a place in my life right now where I could afford to purchase one of his works. I found the photo I want... and know where I would put it.



I got the opportunity to talk to him for just a moment tonight. I was so impressed at how genuine he is. I told him I was a photographer and would some day like to be able to share my photography with others the way he does. I asked him if he ever looks at others' works, and he told me yes. I gave him a place on the internet he could see mine. I wonder what he will think.



I have a lot of favorite pictures that I have taken... and I want to put one on my blog tonight. It's one that really means a lot to me.

I had always liked this picture - I love Zion National Park. A friend of mine pointed something out to me that I hadn't thought of before. This picture represents God's perspective vs. man's. The reflection in the globe represents the fact that we as humans sometimes see things in a different maner than God presents them to us. I hope, some day, this photo will touch lives. I have shared it with family and friends - and have the desire to share it with so many others! This picture is on display in 2 different offices right now, and hopefully soon will be on display in another location. I am keeping my fingers crossed, and will let you know when and where.

"The best thing about the futures is that is comes one day at a time." -Abraham Lincoln.

No comments: