Sunday, May 24, 2009

Life Lessons

How do you react when a friend who is younger than you tells you he just purchased his wife's burial plot- she is dying of cancer. What do you do when you are with a friend who is allergic to nuts- and she unknowingly eats them and has a severe reaction- and you are the only one around? Or how about the police officer husband who is supposed to be home at 10:30 who doesn't return until 4 hours after that... having an "interesting night" playing cops and robbers? And what if all of this happened within 24 hours?!

I have had an incredibly peaceful weekend. Friday night, talking to my friend who will be burying his beautiful wife soon, I learned a great truth. I have never met her, but I know her spirit and her beauty. As we were talking, I was attempting to comfort him, and it was very difficult. I found myself crying with him- and that was an amazing experience. "...Mourn with those that mourn..."

My friend with the nut allergy? We left an event, came home and took care of her through allergy medication and rest. She kept telling me she could stay then go home an hour later... and I know that would have been a poor choice, as her airways were shutting off. I stayed home for concern there could be a more serious reaction "...comfort those that stand in need of comfort..."

And the cop husband? "...Stand as a witness of God in all times and in all things, and in all places..." He was arresting people and doing what is right , to keep the community a safer place to live. I felt in my heart that he was really ok... even though he was many hours late coming home. There was a peace that told me everything would be fine, and it was.

Alma 18:9 is a great scripture from the Book of Mormon- it's where all the quotes from above came from.

I am grateful for the experiences I had this weekend. There are moments when it is clear to me that Heavenly Father has had a hand in my life... and this is one of those moments. Through each of these experiences I have had a peace with me that is impossible to describe. I have been given words to say that I know are not my own. I have been guided in what to do. I have been watched over and blessed with peace. I am so grateful!

No comments: