Wednesday, March 11, 2009

WOW!

More than 20 years ago, I had a really good friend, Jeff. I haven't talked to him since 1992 or so, and we lost contact for a very long time. This past weekend, he found me on facebook. The only way to describe how I am feeling is WOW! We have been talking on the phone the past couple of days, and it has been amazing.

There has been a lot of life that has been lived by both of us. I have been through ups and downs... things he hasn't been there to experience with me. He has been through many ups and downs also- things I could never imagine. What is absolutely amazing to me is that in being reunited with him, the 'me' he remembers is the teen-age girl before many life struggles came my way. It has been so amazing to see that part of me again- and have a friend who knows that part well. It is so mind-boggling to realize that part of me is still in there... and really wants to be seen again!

Sometiemes, when we go through things in life, we hide our authentic self- behind a layer of 'armor'. We feel we are protecting our heart from getting hurt. What really happens is we are hiding our true self deeper and deeper behind layers of pain. We use those layers as a protection- not letting people see who we truly are in our heart, not letting them know our deepest desires. I know I have done this in my lifetime. I know exactly when I started trying to protect... or hide... myself, and I have seen the person I have become because of it. I have been a good person- but not complete.

There is a book, "The Knight in Rusty Armor" by Robert Fisher. I absolutely recommend it to everyone! It's a really quick read, but also very profound. One line, on page 9, has struck home to me this week... "One never knows be it days, weeks, or years, when the pupil is ready, the teacher appears." Finding Jeff is like finding that teacher. He is helping me remember the innocent, fun, cute part of me that I had hidden. The teacher has appeared for me- and I have to say, this is really fun! I am so excited to remember this part of me... WOW! What a journey this is going to be!!!

Thanks for finding me Jeff!

1 comment:

Summer said...

Sounds like Jeff *found* you in more ways than one.

Good luck finding more of yourself!